Globe Clicker 2 - Early Access
A downloadable game for Windows
Globe Clicker 2 : in-development Early Access
This is a very early version of the sequel to the Xbox360 geographic quizz Globe Clicker. The features currently implemented are as follow :
- Flat world map from NASA satellite photos.
- The player is prompted a location, and can point anywhere on the map.
- The distance between the prompt and the answer is measured in miles or kilometers.
- The player can choose the location list to be Per-Continent, or Capitals only, or Unesco World Heritage sites only.
Planned features coming soon :
- The map will be presented on a 3D globe that the player can rotate and zoom.
- Night satellite photos, with big cities highly visible among the countryside with their lights.
- Country borders, with a setting to show or hide them.
- The player answer will be rated on distance and time, with points awarded, and a points threshold to reach for the next level.
- High-score list.
- Better visual feedback when the player chooses an answer.
- Sound effects.
- Full gamepad support and key rebinding.
I will regularly push new versions of the game. You can expect 2 to 3 new builds per-week, with a rapid development schedule. I expect the development to be finished by mid February.
With this Early Access release, I am looking for player feedback, and showcasing the development in an open manner.
Beta 2 - 2017-27-01
Better performance on graphic cards with less than 2GB of ram with compressed textures.
Textures are now baked from a lossless PNG source rather than a lossy JPG one.
Removed obsolete and irrelevant settings.
Beta 3 - 2017-28-01
Allow higher zoom level.
Higher resolution for satellite textures : now 2400 pixels per 30 latitude/longitude degrees.
Flags textured are baked as DDS RGBA for faster loading.
Removed obsolete and irrelevant shipped files.
Beta 3.1 - 2017-30-01
Fixed a bug where the first launch with an Intel GPU would crash.
Fixed a bug where the random prompted location in mode World Cities was always Los Angeles.
Beta 4 - 2017-30-01
Setup.exe creates a shortcut to Configurator.exe used to launch the debug-enabled version or the fail-safe settings.
Removed the level-of-details feature of the satellite textures because they already are mip-mapped.
Country borders now rendered as textures baked with custom 8-bit/pixel format.
Beta 5 - 2017-31-01
Alternate satellite textures : night mode.
Special inter-state borders for map type "USA".
Flag textures are now loaded on-demand rather than at start-time, which makes for a faster load time, and fewer VRAM load.
Default position for the location prompt is now bottom-left corner.
Beta 6 - 2017-02-08
Full support for the 3-dimensional Globe mode.
Projection mode can be changed on the fly during gameplay, from Flat Map to/from Globe.
New technique for rendering the path from the user choice to the correct answer.
Beta 6.4 - 2017-02-21
The path from the user choice to the prompted location is now the shortest path (interpolating on the globe projection rather than interpolating latitude-longitude coordinates).
Fixed a crash on initial load that happened with CPU i7-4700MQ and GPU Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 - 4.0.0 - Build 126.96.36.19904
|Published||298 days ago|
|Tags||geographic, geography, map, nasa, quizz, satellite, Space, Tilemap based tools, worldmap|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Inputs||Mouse, Gamepad (any)|
|Accessibility||Configurable controls, One button|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.